This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help i`m new here

i`m new to linux, it looks to me that you`re suppose to be connected to the net to download the packages. i`ve try to unlock the packages from adept, aptitude and sources.list, but it gives me errors . i`ve unable my cd-rom, cause i`ve download a package from the net & put it on a cd but then if i try to install nothing happens. so i use my kubuntu installation cd and then there`s 2 packages, how do install those and how do i know what packages it is? is there a place where i can download the package (from the net) i want and then install it from the cd-rom? what do i put in my sources.list to recognise the packages i downloaded, when it`s on cd, cause they just recognise the kubuntu cd

Re: please help i`m new here

Yes, you are correct, an Internet connection is "assumed" by the Adept package management system.

If you're a recovering Windows user like me, you can think of Adept as kinda-sorta like your old Windows registry + Windows Updates, but with an Internet connection to a list of URLs referred to as "repositories", or "repos". The repos are an organized hierarchy of version-specific archives in which software (OS and package) upgrades are officially "deposited" by the (k)Ubuntu developers. Adept "looks" at the database on your system, and then compares that with the contents of the repos, and if there are newer files in the repos, it uses something called Adept Notifier to let you know that there are updates available.

So, your approach to downloading files on a CD and then attempting to install them on a disconnected system isn't going to work -- at least not in any straightforward way that Kubuntu is expecting. I'm sure the gurus could do it that way, but not us newbies.

I don't think your Internet connection necessarily needs to be really fast, although that makes it nice. Can you get a serial port modem, and use a phone line, like overnight or something?

Comment

i`ll check if i can use dial-up connection with my cellphone via bluetooth. i hope its possiable as everyting in kubuntu needs to mounted first before u can use it
      thanx
      there must be a way to work around not having a connection, any guru`s
      are welcome to help me. i know sometimes you want the newbies to find it 4 yourself

Comment

I thought there was a how to on deb central, but it may be one of the ubuntu forums, hopefully it willl turn up with a bit of googling again......there is a how to on how to download pkgs (with dependencies) onto a cd.........looked like a decent walk thru to use an online session to grab a bunch of pkgs which can be installed without hitting dependency hell......il ll keep my eyes open, as someone who spent a couple of years linuxiing with no internet access......

cheers

Comment

Working...
        X